Thursday, July 23, 2026

Adventures In A Small-City Homeless Shelter

I suppose the REAL reason I'm writing this blog is because I'm thoroughly pissed off.  Like many homeless shelters, the one I'm in is supposed to be "Christian"-created and -supported.  But I've come to learn that, like most of such orgs, it is heavily MONEY-oriented, and the well-being of those who make up the populace of the shelter pretty much get screwed over if they present with any sort of independent thought beyond being good little kennel-dwellers.

It started off nice enough:  "Here are the rules.  Abide by them and you'll find your stay with us to be pleasant and productive."

The rules?

*  NO outside food allowed inside the building.

*  You must meet with an assigned counselor at least once per week.  (An important point for later)

*  Once you are assigned a bed, you cannot NOT be present every night to be counted unless given express permission to be gone by your assigned counselor.  (Another point important for later)

*  You're to perform three chores per week.  There's a list.. just choose one, document it and have it certified by someone on staff.

*  Breakfast is 6am-6:30am, no lunch except on Sundays, dinner is 6pm-6:30pm.

*  All residents must leave the dorms by 7:30am, the premises by 8am, and can only re-enter at 5pm.

There are many other rules, of course, but those are the basics.

SO-- why am I pissed?

I received permission from my counselor a month prior to be out on a certain night.  The shelter doesn't do written confirmations, so it was a verbal contract I "ASS-umed" would be honored.  Ha-ha.

My counselor ended up cancelling two weekly follow-up appointments with me, then suddenly quit.  I'm honestly quite happy for her.  It's not a pleasant environment to work for.

However, according to her higher-ups, she didn't document that last agreement we'd made, and I wasn't aware that she hadn't.  By the time I was assigned another counselor a MONTH later, the day before I was scheduled to be gone all night, everything was in place for a pleasant evening away from the nuthouse.  I had just enough time to inform the new counselor about my plans and that her predecessor had already okayed it.  She only said, "Okay."

I leave and return the next night, ONLY to be told that I'm not allowed to sleep there that night since, according to them, I DIDN'T have permission for the previous night.  I argued to no avail.  Understandably pissed, I ended up having to find a motel room for the night.

The next morning, I return to speak to whatever IDIOT made that snap decision without even trying to contact me to find out what was going on.

That's a whole 'nother conversation I'll document in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment